The Arc of Sedgwick County
· Since 1953, The Arc of Sedgwick County has helped to improve the quality of life for local individuals and their families living with developmental disabilities which include, autism, mental retardation, epilepsy, down syndrome, and cerebral palsy.
· This non-profit organization provides educational and social opportunities that enhance the development of individual potential while advocating for supports and services in the community.
· Its clients range from age 5 to 75
· The Arc offers over 600 innovative activities and events annually.
· Programs: YESS, Circle of Friends, Case Management, Young Adult Club, Self Advocates, Mini Tours, etc
What is the Community and Celebrity Auction?
· This auction has outstanding items that come from our community and from celebrities around the country and raised over $40,000 last year!
· The Arc’s Self Advocates host this annual event. The Self Advocates are adult clients of the Arc who have some type of developmental disability. They share their stories and the difference that The Arc has made in their lives as they solicit these items and that is how they are so successful in obtaining so many celebrity items. The funds that they raise are used to assist The Arc and to give back to the community.
· Example: See Corky Siebert’s attached solicitation letter and personal story
Major Auction Items
· Celebrity autographed auction items include (see attached sheet for more) K-State, KU, WSU, Magic Johnson basketball, Ernhardt Jr, Eli Manning football, Jerry Rice football, Terry Bradshaw poster, Nolan Rya 5,000th strikeout poster, Jack Nicklaus poster, Joe Green helmet, Bob Griese helmet, Yogi Berra, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Brett Favre, Alan Alda Mash script, Justin Bieber CD
· Community auction items include: 2 tickets to Tim McGraw’s May 19 concert with Party Suite seating, WSU baseball package for 12 including athletic director’s skybox/2 parking passes/light snacks and drinks, small antiques and collectables, wood carvings, gift baskets, coolers, Cuisinart items, hotel stays and restaurant meals and more!
· When: Saturday, May 7, 2011
· Location: The Arc – 2919 W Second St, Wichita
· Silent Auction, 9:00 a.m. to 6:55 p.m., includes hundreds of items. You can arrive at any time during the day to view the items and place your bid.
· The silent auction closes at 6:55 p.m. just before the life auction begins at 7:00. The most coveted items will be auctioned by friends of auctioneer, J.D. Frederick, who passed away last year and was a long-time auctioneer for this annual event.
· A $10 entry fee includes food, drink and bid number.
· Car Show at Cowtown, May 22; Ha-Ha’s for the Cause, June 27, Loony Bin Comedy Club